Maritime Accidents

News, Comments and Memories from a Great Shipping Line

Re: Maritime Accidents

Postby David Fox » Wed Mar 29, 2023 2:08 pm

This chap knows what he is talking about and has found further information, comes across very well, unlike our Atlantic cousin.
https://youtu.be/4i4-Q6lHmoc
David Fox

Postby David Fox » Mon Jan 22, 2024 9:07 pm

Grey Funnel does it again.
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... hrain.html

"Why this happened is still to be established. We train our people to the highest standards and rigorously enforce machinery safety standards, but unfortunately incidents of this nature can still happen".

Yes, pull the other one. Accidents like this just don't happen they are caused by incompetence, lack of training and poor recruitment. Plus too many chiefs and not enough injuns.
They didn't in the Merchant Navy.
They obviously didn't test astern when they had a bit of sea room.

'I assure you that a full and thorough investigation is already under way and any changes in procedure that could prevent further incidents will be rapidly implemented.
Typical fall back statement.

Stop it going backwards- Astern you numptie!!

What about a kick ahead if its going too fast astern or let go fwd.

Nothing a bit of 4"×2" , 12mm ply and thistlebond patches won't cure, but no it will, be a full drydock job, or send it back to the UK. Somebody will get the dcm and somebody promoted beyond their competence.

Wonder who's cabin that is, right minty untidy %% isn't he. Not quite Pusser. We wouldn't allow that in the Professional Merchant Navy would we, the Old Man would certainly have a word in your shell like living like that.

What are those stupid hats they have got on? They are not going to help if some exocet comes screaming through the ship. Looks if they are going for boxer training.

Talk about the thin blue line, I think some jackdusty has watered the ink down again to make it last.
Two eggs, you got to be joking, don't you think there's a war on, no not whore, WAR!!!

First bit of action and they cannot command a plastic launch.
And don't forget the schools and universities are turning out more of these numpties to join the Andrew.

Thank goodness I have done my 8. Ten Actually.
Left hand down a bit Wren Chasten.
Oo, cor lummie we have hit him.
David Fox

Postby martin cook » Fri Feb 09, 2024 10:14 pm

Reminds me of an incident on the Avelona Star David. You may have been on board at the time?
She didn’t like going astern after a prolonged period going ahead, so much so that she hit the quay in Rio de Janiero at a fair old lick. I think Clive Purser was the chief at the time. Happy days!
martin cook

Postby David Fox » Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:48 pm

Martin, think I may have been in Tampa at the time as I paid off from Rio Grande De Sol in November, they hadn't started loading cargo at that point, but had a shippers party and we were doing a head change on one of the stbd gennies. Did you actually load cargo because when I got back to the UK she was in Pompy fitting vertrep platforms ready for the bargy with the argies.
Clive was chief when I was there, he joined in Alex with y'all. The rest of the lads left a few days earlier and I was permanent DOB and John Lineham was there till Clive came.
With the demise of BSL, Clive took up a Marine teaching post at Southampton, even offered me an interview when I was jobless in the noaghties. Must have impressed him, yet didn't think so at the time we sailed. Living in Newbury would have been awkward as I wasn't prepared to sell up having cleared the mortgage and start again, would have been heck of a daily drive.
Wonder how Clive is these days, won't be much older than me.
David Fox

Previous

Return to General Chat