Click here to get to Posts (or click on Page number/Icon ->)

News, Comments and Memories from a Great Shipping Line

Re: Anyone Remember the London Dock Strikes?

Postby Fraser Darrah » Fri Apr 12, 2013 2:17 pm

I don't remember any films being shot in London but when I was on the "Browning" in Seaforth Dock at what we used to call Siberia Wharf, (as it was so far from the gate) they filmed the "Boys from the Blackstuff" both on the quay and in the ship's hold.
We used to be amused that when actual cargo work finished a road sweeper tuck used to come and clean the quay. There was studio lighting all along the shed canopy illuminating the quay. They filmed several police car chases along the quay which were quite exciting at the time.
When they came to film in the hold, a gang of the smartest and cleanest looking "dockies" boarded the ship, in new boiler suits and shiny boots. The "cargo" being large empty cardboard cigarette cases. A large catering caravan was positioned behind the shed to feed the film crew and actors.
I remember being somewhat taken aback when going ashore to see several of the film crew snogging behind the sheds, both female/female and male/male who didn't seem too fussy which! They were definitely all "dearies"
When the episode finally went out, after about 3 nights "work" is was on screen for about 1 minute!
Cheers Fraser
Fraser Darrah

Re: Click here to get to Posts (or click on Page number/Icon

Postby COLINCOLLIER » Sun Apr 28, 2013 5:17 pm

I have been given a fine detailed model of the sailing vessel HERZOGIN CECELIE which was built 1902 as a German Sail Training ship. The model carries port and starboard navigation light boxes at the aft end of the focsle deck, I can find no provision for masthead lights, can anyone tell me if these ships carried masthead lights in those days, Colin Coller
COLINCOLLIER

Postby COLINCOLLIER » Sun Apr 28, 2013 5:34 pm

Re London Dock Strikes, Think it was 1960, I was Ch/refrig and received a telegram from "Dobbie" to ring the dock office, i did so and Dbbie said get here pronto, the Argentina Star is going to Rotterdam, all you need is a boiler suit and underpants , you will be back on Friday this was wednesday, the strike was due to start on the Thursday and they did not want the ship locked in the dock, when I got on board their were 3 ch/ref eng , Alec Gault , Colin Warner and myself as supernumary, three weeks later we were sill in Rotterdam. having signed of the Argentina, signed on the Brasil, they were flying chilled beef to England , Southend by Siver City Airlines I beleive 10 tons a flight, happy times Colin Collier
COLINCOLLIER

Postby bluey1958 » Mon Apr 29, 2013 5:00 pm

Re London Dock Strikes, I well remember being being diverted to Rotterdam on the English Star, for a full discharge, at the end of my first trip in June '58 because the dockies were on strike. You can probably imagine my disappointment at getting no leave. I was a jnr engineer and, as most of the crew were, was talked into signing off one day and signing new articles the next for another trip to BA.
At least blue star did the decent thing with us at the end of the 2nd. trip by putting into Dover and signing us off before she went on the coast. This gave us a bit longer leave than usual for this run. We rejoined her in Southampton dry dock about noon one day, floated her, and were on our way back to BA before the evening meal.
The reason she was in dry dock was that we put into Lisbon homeward bound and when we were leaving a warp broke and we damaged the port? prop on the key.
Regards, Hugh Reid
bluey1958

Postby Colmundy » Wed May 01, 2013 1:24 pm

Re HERZOGIN CECELIE sailing ships do not carry mastlights, the only White light they carry is the sternlight.
Regards Colin.
Colmundy

Postby Bill Lamont » Thu Jun 27, 2013 12:06 am

I was with the Auckland Star from 1970 - 1972 and was wondering if there is anyone out there who still remembers me. Bill Lamont
Bill Lamont

Postby desfforde » Wed Jun 25, 2014 7:48 pm

Regarding the histories in 'Sea Breezes, it would be very interesting to see them again.
I had them on the 'Brasilia Star' in 1975 (coasting) but Captain Gaucho Davies pinched them.
Des Fforde
desfforde

Postby John Bilton » Tue Jan 13, 2015 1:30 am

Hi,
Just joined up yesterday, found the site quite by accident so was interested to see if any ex-Blue Star personnel that may remember me
Anyway, I was with Blue Star Line from April '68 to Octber '72.
Started our as Junior Engineer and left as 4th Engineer.
Vessels sailed on:
Auckland Star - April '68 to November '68
Paraguay Star - February '69 to August '69
Canadian Star - October '69 to April '70
English Star - May '70 to August '70
Fremantle Star - September '70 to September '71
Hobart Star - October '71 to March '72
America Star - June '72 to October '72
Thank the lord for my discharge book, afraid the memory ain't what it used to be (guess it's the voluminous quantities of Four Bells and Tennents lager over the years that affect the brain power later down the road).
Anyway, great memories and experiences in those years so would appreciate anyone out there that was there.
By the way, ended up retiring in Canada after a long and varied work life.
Be-lated Happy New Year to all and best regards
John Bilton
John Bilton

Call Signs

Postby David Fox » Wed Jul 27, 2016 9:06 pm

Does anybodyknow the call signs for the following two ships?

Rockhampton Star
Starman Anglia

Thanks.
David Fox

Vanity titles

Postby David Fox » Sat Jun 03, 2017 9:26 pm

I noticed on the guest list for the Liverpool reunion there are a few with an ego problem that call themselves Captain. Considering all these people were actually Masters of a Merchant Ship, not Captains, but when ashore without a ship were just plain Mr and now having been retired many years are still Mr.
A footballer who is a captain of his team is still plain mister off the field and so should retired former ship's masters and their wives.
Even in the military the title Captain is not used once retired, though some titles of a much higher rank are but followed by .retd
Even Prime Ministers lose their title with the office as that's all it is the title whilst doing the job.
David Fox

PreviousNext

Return to General Chat