Click here to get to Posts (or click on Page number/Icon ->)

News, Comments and Memories from a Great Shipping Line

Re: Click here to get to Posts (or click on Page number/Icon

Postby PeterStacey » Fri Jan 04, 2013 9:13 pm

LIVERY
Regarding the shift from black hulls to Grey, a few years ago I corresponded with a number of people on the subject mainly Mr R J Webb (Dick Webb) who was Technical Assistant to the Marine Superintendent, Captain Hunt at the time , Captain Ifor Owen who was aboard the Australia Star when the black was painted over and Edmond Owen-Humphreys former C/R/E who sailed on the Brasil Star at the time.
Post war all the ships had a black hull with red boot topping with the masts/derricks painted a buff/biscuit yellow. The black paint obviously attracted the heat, not really desirable on a ship carrying refrigerated cargo. In late 1958 the company conducted an experiment with a lighter hull using lavender, with blue boot-topping and French grey mast/derricks (naturally this was a progressive change as time permitted). C/R/E Edmond Owen-Humphreys remembers being asked to record hull temperature’s on the Brasil Star for one voyage, this was repeated after the hull had been painted “off white” and then painted over with lavender. It must have worked, as the Australia Star was painted lavender (South Shields 28/11/58) for a voyage to Australia/NZ, but her case the paint went directly onto the black – causing later problems with adherence.
Along with the four “A” boats, and the Australia Star the “Queensland” ships were similarly painted over. The Gladstone Star’s hull was painted lavender in March 1959. However the following vessels were delivered with lavender hull, Ulster Star 3/07/59, Canterbury Star 21/12/60, Fremantle Star 2/04/60. I sailed on both the Fremantle Star and the Canterbury Star in the 60’s & 70’s the lavender still re appeared when the grey be scuffed.
There was a problem with the lavender, mainly that the paint was not easily touched up without the paint line being very noticeable. The paint manufacturers tried various shades but this problem stayed and in time grey was chosen as an alternative. As well as temperature control Dick Webb thinks the original move from black/red was that black hid rust, did not prevent it.
In May 1961, all four “A” boats were painted grey with blue boot-topping. The shore gang in Liverpool changed the following vessels to grey, Rockhampton Star 7/62, Townsville Star 10/63 and the Gladstone Star 8/62 at Cammell Laird’s Birkenhead Yard.
The Montreal Class (apart from the Canterbury Star) all came out with a grey hull. A number of the vessels retained their black hull until they were disposed of. But the mast/derrick ‘ biscuit’ yellow was replaced with grey in the early 1960’s about the same time as the lavender hulls changed to grey.
The Santos Star, Mendoza Star, Genova Star, Padova Star and the Barcelona Star all had white hulls, blue boot-toppings and white masts/derricks.
Regards
Peter Stacey
PeterStacey

Re: Livery

Postby Jimbo » Fri Jan 04, 2013 11:31 pm

Many thanks Pete. Your explanation is much appreciated. Although I was an Engineer at sea (admittedly on my Mother's side), I wouldn't have thought a black hull wouldn't have made so much difference on a Fridge ship? The hull may get a few degrees hotter, but that would be tempered X% by the hull insulation and the hull wall surface area is only one sixth of the hold surface area. Still, you learn something new every day, and having sailed on modern fridge ships where any sea water temp above 28'c meant disaster, I can fully understand............Cheers once again, Jim C
Jimbo

Postby David Fox » Mon Jan 07, 2013 6:09 pm

Jim,
As an Engineer you forget your Physics from school (even I can remember that and I can give you a few years), its the Stefan Boltzman Constant. Black absorbs heat and White reflects heat. That's why the tropical uniform was white also and pongos wore light khaki in the tropics. A white boilersuit still gets as dirty as a black boilersuit, but at least you can see how dirty it is becoming (but it is cooler as long as it is thick) and do some dhobie in the night watches.
David F
David Fox

Postby A.D.Frost » Tue Jan 15, 2013 11:28 am

Thats why I never under stood 'Tropical Boiler Suit'(one with sawn off sleeves)Reason for white boiler suits was that if you were scalded (Steam Ships) it would not pregnated your skin with dye if it was colour.(Scavenge s..t not a dye?)
A.D.Frost

Tropical Boily's

Postby Jimbo » Tue Jan 15, 2013 10:33 pm

Haha, remember them well. I got three made to measure in Bombay, with name, rank, Blue Star house flag and Ships name embroidered on them. Really smart and really cheap. But you didn't have to be on a steam ship to suffer the consequences of their short comings. The number of times I scalded my arms on steam pipes, heavy fuel lines and such was unbelievable. I used to cry out my Anglo Saxon expletives so loud, I'd drown out the noise of the engines!!! Haha, good times. Jim C
Jimbo

Re: Tropical Boily's

Postby Fraser Darrah » Wed Jan 16, 2013 1:01 am

Jimbo wrote:Haha, remember them well. I got three made to measure in Bombay, with name, rank, Blue Star house flag and Ships name embroidered on them. Really smart and really cheap. But you didn't have to be on a steam ship to suffer the consequences of their short comings. The number of times I scalded my arms on steam pipes, heavy fuel lines and such was unbelievable. I used to cry out my Anglo Saxon expletives so loud, I'd drown out the noise of the engines!!! Haha, good times. Jim C

I presume you cried out in a high pitched voice, as I seem to remember after washing they ended up 2 sizes smaller, with the crotch somewhere near one's ears!
Fraser Darrah

Re: Bombay Boiler suits

Postby Jimbo » Wed Jan 16, 2013 8:51 am

Fraser, you're right, they didn't leave you much room to manoeuvre did they? Haha, they were like Hexham, no Ball Room!
Jimbo

David T Whenray served 1975-1983

Postby Liz Reynolds » Sun Jan 20, 2013 4:26 pm

I am interested to hear from anyone who may have served with my father David T Whenray on BSL ships Gladstone Star, Montivedeo, Canterbury, America or Halifax Star between about 1975 and 1983. He served as Chief Refrigeration Officer on these ships. Any photos, stories or indeed any info at all would be gratefully received. Sadly he died in April 2000 and I am unable to learn more of his life during this time.
Liz Reynolds

Re: Little History

Postby David Fox » Fri Mar 15, 2013 5:09 pm

Whilst reading an article by the NE Engineers & Shipbuilders 1988 on Low Speed Diesels in British Shipbuilding up to 1945, I came across these little snippets.

"The first Double Acting 2 Stroke was fitted in the Australia Star in 1935".

"From correspondence between the BOT and Ministry of Finance in Belfast – talk of piratical activities of the Vestey brothers forcing their way into trade routes.
Gibb of Union Castle was so incensed when Harland & Wolf (Belfast) accepted orders from BSL that he threatened to take Union Castle business elsewhere”.

In the heyday of British Merchant Fleets both these companies prospered, but sadly have gone except in the hearts of former staff.
David Fox

Anyone Remember the London Dock Strikes?

Postby Jim Blake » Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:19 pm

I was one of the lucky ones "stuck" in the London Docks during what I believe was one of the last, if not THE last of the London Dock Strikes. I was on the Newcastle Star, back in 72, on permanent daywork, with the Olympic Games (Mark Spitz, Olga Korbut!) on the (black and white) TV and a choice of either the Connaught or the fleshpots of the West End...via Plaistow, no DLR in those days!

However, I have a question: I remember leaning on the rail one day (morning, I think it was) and watching a film being shot on the wharf. This was in the Royal Albert Dock and it looked like a police chase or similar sequence.

Does anyone else remember the event, or know what was being shot?

Another related question: are there any films out there that feature BSL vessels as "extras", films shot where a BSL boat happened to be in the camera's field of vision?....I seem to remember a spy/gangster movie that showed a BSL boat (Kiwi Star?) in Dover Harbour (What for? that'a a passie port!") but there must be others....

Cheers

Jim
Jim Blake

PreviousNext

Return to General Chat