Joe Owens

A Place to remember Shipmates who have crossed the bar

Joe Owens

Postby Robert McCormack » Fri Jul 16, 2021 2:28 pm

I have just received the sad news from Joe Owen's daughters Julie & Elizabeth that he passed away on the morning of the 15th July 2021.His daughters take comfort knowing he will be reunited with hi wife Margaret. He will be sadly missed. As well as being a respected Chief Engineer he was also a good ship mate to sail with. When Joe & Margret stayed with us ,he & I reminisced about the ships we sailed in over a dram or two!! Farewell Joe.
Robert McCormack

Joe Owens (Recieved from Peter Stacey)

Postby 667974_bluestar » Sat Jul 17, 2021 7:29 am

Chief Engineer Goronwy "Joe" Owens R.I.P.

Joe joined the Blue Star Line in 1955 as a Junior Engineer and worked through the various ranks to Chief Engineer. He was Chief for 28 years retiring in 1995.

I am very sorry to hear about Joe’s passing (15/07/2021), sad news indeed and will be missed. We never sailed together but it was always a pleasure to meet up and enjoy a beer together at the many reunions he attended both in Australia & here in New Zealand during in the last 15 years. His wife Margaret passed away in 2010, sincere condolences to the family.

Peter Stacey
Attachments
Joe Owens RIPr.jpg
Joe Owens RIPr.jpg (242.16 KiB) Viewed 2294 times
667974_bluestar
Site Admin

Joe Owens Funeral Arrangements

Postby 667974_bluestar » Tue Jul 20, 2021 7:05 am

Hi All,

Just sending through the details of Dad's funeral service.

It will be on Friday 30th July at 4pm Melbourne time which is 7am UK time. The service will be live streamed (link below) for those wanting to watch the service live, and will remain online after for viewing. The streaming will start about 10 mins before the service commences with a holding slide and music to give enough time for the viewers to connect up.

Live Stream Link: https://www.vividstreamlive.com.au/goronwy-owens/

There is also an online Guest Book where people can leave messages for the family or alternatively we can be contacted at jowens2@bigpond.net.au.

Liz and I were wondering whether you had any memories or humorous stories of your time with Dad that you would like to share? We can either have someone read out something you write or you can send through an audio recording that can be played. It would be great to have some stories from his time at sea to share as part of the service.

If you could please pass along the funeral service details to the Blue Star Log Book that would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Julie & Liz Owens
667974_bluestar
Site Admin

Return to Obituaries