Arthur Carr RIP (contributed bt Peter Stacey)

A Place to remember Shipmates who have crossed the bar

Arthur Carr RIP (contributed bt Peter Stacey)

Postby 667974_bluestar » Thu Apr 13, 2023 8:26 am

Sad news this week we learnt Chief Engineer Arthur Carr passed away 11 Feb 2022 I understand due to Covid. I first met Arthur in 1973 when he joined the “Timaru Star” as a newly promoted Chief Engineer. I have put together a collage showing the “Timaru Star”, him with his old ship mate from the “Caledonia Star” Captain Sandy Kinghorn in London 2010. The black and white image with his fellow engineers aboard that ship the “Caledonia Star” where he served as 2nd Engineer. Finally Arthur’s last ship the “Afric Star”.

Arthur Carr was born in Ashton-under-Lyne (Greater Manchester) in 1943, leaving school at the age of 14 he got a job in Refrigeration where his father worked. This work brought him in contact the ships visiting Manchester. At the age of 21 he decided upon a career in the Merchant Nav and in April 1965 was employed with the Blue Star Line as a Junior Engineer. He was promoted to 2nd Engineer in 1970 and Chief Engineer 1973. He gained his steam endorsement in 1974 and finally left Blue Star Line and the sea in October 1984, his last four years were spent on the “Afric Star”.

A video of Arthurs funeral can be seen (on Facebook) should one Google  “arthur carr ashburton devon”
Attachments
Arthur Carr Tribute .0.2.jpg
Arthur Carr Tribute .0.2.jpg (104.56 KiB) Viewed 1668 times
667974_bluestar
Site Admin

Return to Obituaries